Everyone to the meeting
Actions from last meeting
Becky and Tony are making signs to direct traffic one way around the turning circle.
New kitchen – work started this morning. A very big thank you to South Cheshire CCG for funding it, and for Chris at Condor for building it.
· We’ve received lots of woodchip and logs from the works team working on access for the flood defence works in town. The woodchip has been spread over the bluebell walk paths and the forest school, den building and storytelling areas.
· Toilet ramp – have installed more posts, (and need to source more from Norley).
· New hazel coppice – lots of trees have been planted
· Nectar garden – has enjoyed a makeover – lots of clearing work and new shrubs planted
· New growing area – have completed the outer fence and had loads of manure delivered which we need to dig in. Area looks fantastic. We’ll get the various fruit trees we need from Morreys Nursery and contacts from The Cheshire Landscape Trust.
· Giant’s head – we need to break up some of the larger bits of rubble, check if it needs any more adding to it and then make sure that the pile is stable.
· Need to move fruit trees in the orchard area to make way for the soft fruit cage donated by Pete
· Other jobs on the to do list include making covers for the raised beds, continuing work on the toilet ramp, planting fruit trees along the fence in the new growing area, making wheeled planters, and doing some path and roadway repairs.
As always, thanks to everyone for all your help with everything.
Pete made a few suggestions for possible projects to visit
- Wigan allotments
- Wood working project near Mold
- Music workshops
- Any Groundwork Lancashire West & Wigan horticultural projects
· We now have a fantastic social media presence, which is getting regularly updated – thanks Si for your work on this. If anyone would like to write a few words about what Grozone means to them, please hand them to Si and we’ll put a few of your comments on the website (depending on what you say of course!).
· Grozone will be the featured ‘Community Garden of the Month’ in April’s Garden Answers Magazine - Denise and Andy were interviewed for the article.
· CCG project – still running on Wednesdays and Fridays 1.00 - 3.00pm. More people are joining the groups, but we would still like to recruit more participants. Andy has secured additional funding from the CCG to continue the project beyond March.
· UCAN – only the Year 10 pupils are coming at the moment as the Year 11 have exams soon. They’ll return in April.
Norley Rural Skills Centre
We’re waiting to hear about the lease.
Training days – Grozone closed
Everyone please be aware that
Grozone will be closed on Tuesday March 10th and Wednesday March 11th
as all staff will be on a training course.
Providing evidence to funders
Andy needs to write an end of year report for the Big Lottery Fund and needs some quotes & photos. .
WE agreed that we also need to keep a record of other forms of evidence, such as photos and off the cuff remarks. Everyone needs to help with this please.
Any other business
· Happy first birthday to (most) Grozone staff – It’s been a year since Pete, Fe, Julie and Sarah started. Thank you all from us all for all your efforts and patience.
· Welcome to everyone from Petty Pool. We hope you enjoy coming along and helping out!
· Fish and Chip Fridays – (by order of Dan) on the first Friday of every month. Orders to Si/Denise by 12.30 and Denise will collect them for us.
No money = no chips!! We’ll keep a store of red & brown sauces, salt and vinegar at Grozone. Please take any leftovers home and don’t use the bins – the squirrels are fat enough already.
· Andy to arrange a yurt fixing day (on a Monday or Friday) and get Glen (the guy who built it) to come along to help us out, and show us the ropes!!
· Beth (who first set up Grozone) will be coming down for a visit on Friday March 13th – without Beth, there would be no Grozone.
· Chris (the kitchen builder) and Pete (the bee keeper) now have keys to Grozone.
They have been asked to lock the gates behind them if they get to Grozone when no staff are there. Please don’t expect them to let you in if no staff are there, thank you.
Please can everyone remember that sessions start at 10.00am and finish at 3.00pm. Staff need time before 10.00am to get ready for the day’s tasks, and after 3.00pm need time to tidy up. Unless there is a Friends Group meeting, or you have been asked individually to come early or stay late, please help us all by only coming between 10.00 and 3.00. Thank you!
Date of next meeting
Wednesday 1st April at 3.00pm