Andy welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced Alison, who will be helping out while Andy is on paternity leave from October. Caroline will take over the day to day management of Grozone until Andy is back in January. Jon Hutchinson will also be helping out, though not usually on site.
From the Walker Family and Caroline
- Work programme:
What we’ve achieved since the last meeting:
Rebuilt steps and widened door to toilet.
Work on the herb spiral.
Mulching fruit cages.
Next jobs :
- Cut and rake the wildflower meadow.
- Raking up leaves and storing for leaf mulch/mould.
- Tree pruning.
- Fruit bush/tree pruning.
- Finishing touches to the ramp.
- Celebration event Wednesday23rd August.
- Mike Amesbury MP visit last week.
- CWaC SMT Tuesday 31st October – great opportunity to showcase Grozone.
- Great Northwich Bake Off Sunday 15th October 2-4pm. We’ve been asked if we would like to provide a judge for the event? We agreed to ask if Denise or Sarah Walker wanted to go.
- Other projects/partnerships
Roots to Wellbeing Practical Horticulture Award – a new cohort has started, with some additional learners expected to join us in the next couple of weeks. Pete to chase up certificates from the last course.
- Toddler Sessions – still going well, generating income and ever popular
- The Tytherington School Project in Macclesfield is now finished - Pete, Jon and Andy were invited to the official opening last Friday.
- Love My River Project. Now has a different focus with the priority now being to prevent incidents of pollution by identifying misconnections and the ‘yellow fish’ scheme.
- Volunteer led sessions. The sessions have gone really well, and I think that all our volunteer leaders continue to enjoy the additional responsibility. If you would like to become a volunteer leader yourself, please speak to Andy.
- Bike recycling
The project is gaining momentum thanks to BJ.
We have applied for funding from The Police and Crime Commissioner to joint fund a workshop that could be used for the bike project.
- Product sales
Andy asked for suggestions for things we could make and sell - we have a stall booked at The Northwich Christmas Market at the end of November and need to produce lots of things to sell.
We have been offered help making craft products by Chris Moseley – who would like to get involved with this (we think it should have its own focus, rather than a task on the daily job board). Rachel and Ian both expressed an interest – Rachel to lead.
Suggestions – pallet planters, tyre planters, log reindeers, bird tables, bird boxes. Any more suggestions are welcome.
- Projects in the pipeline
Andy gave details of applications we have recently made to Brightlife, Cheshire Community Foundation, The Northwich Carnival Committee and The Northwich Round Table.
The Grozone Community Forum which is meeting after this meeting will look at other possible applications.
- Any other business
- Concerns were raised over neighbour’s cars partly blocking the entrance to Grozone. Andy to talk to neighbours about it.
- Date of next meeting
Tuesday 16th Jan 2.00pm.